Integrated vs stand-alone body armor - is one better?

Here's where you post product reviews, suggestions and inquiries
Lucifuhrman
AMA Racer
Your Ride: '12 Ducati Multistrada

Integrated vs stand-alone body armor - is one better?

Postby Lucifuhrman » August 16th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Hey All,

Currently have a RevIt two-piece suit with integrated body armor and a separate back protector I wear under the jacket. Was considering whether I might improve my armor situation by switching to separate stand-alone armor that would be worn underneath the suit and removing the RevIt integrated armor. Part of my thinking here is that with the integrated armor it shifts around a bit, especially on the knees, so in the event of a get-off or a crash it seems like luck will be a factor as to whether the armor is where it needs to be. Was thinking with stand-alone armor that might offer more options for types of armor, quality of armor, and a more secure fit. Anyone with experience using both types?

Randall
AMA Racer
Your Ride: KTM 990 SMR, Husky 450

Re: Integrated vs stand-alone body armor - is one better?

Postby Randall » September 12th, 2014, 10:32 pm

I have used armor shist/back protector under leathers and suits with integral armor. I say it depends on your application and suit type/fit...tight leather, or loose areostitch. both work well.

shifting armor is a minor concern. I have had offs in the areo which is very loose with built in armor(not back protector) and it held up well with the damage in the armor areas. same goes for my leather suits.

armor shirts that are seperate form the suit tend to be a bit bigger than integrated armor, so you suit may fit tighter and become uncomfortable.

I find the best combination is separate spin/chest protector with built in suit armor in the arms, shoulders, knees. Or what ever is teh monst comfortable. go buy an areostitch, they RULE! you'll say to yourself "why did I wait so long to buy this"
Motorcycles, Firearms and Pastries....I mean Pussy, the 3 best things in life.

Jeff
AMA Racer
Your Ride: 07 KTM 990 Adnenture, 14 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Postby Jeff » September 14th, 2014, 10:04 pm

I find that the elbow and knee armor in loose textile suits is never in the right spots. Forcefield armor on the body in elastic sleeves stays where it belongs. My tighter fitting Dainese leather suit fits great and the integrated armor feels like it will be right where it needs to be.

Jeff P
Squid

Postby Jeff P » September 15th, 2014, 9:17 pm

Areostitch or leathers ? What is safer .

Lucifuhrman
AMA Racer
Your Ride: '12 Ducati Multistrada

Postby Lucifuhrman » September 15th, 2014, 9:25 pm

Jeff wrote:I find that the elbow and knee armor in loose textile suits is never in the right spots. Forcefield armor on the body in elastic sleeves stays where it belongs. My tighter fitting Dainese leather suit fits great and the integrated armor feels like it will be right where it needs to be.

I suspect that more form-fitting leathers would do a decent job of keeping the armor in place. Not sure I can shovel my fat ass into one :o

Jeff
AMA Racer
Your Ride: 07 KTM 990 Adnenture, 14 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Postby Jeff » September 15th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Lucifuhrman wrote:
Jeff wrote:I find that the elbow and knee armor in loose textile suits is never in the right spots. Forcefield armor on the body in elastic sleeves stays where it belongs. My tighter fitting Dainese leather suit fits great and the integrated armor feels like it will be right where it needs to be.

I suspect that more form-fitting leathers would do a decent job of keeping the armor in place. Not sure I can shovel my fat ass into one :o

Nothing feels better when you are riding aggressively.

wheels
Founding Member
Your Ride: Ducati MTS1200S Triumph 250

Postby wheels » September 15th, 2014, 10:54 pm

After Isaac put a hole in his knee cap ( took a while to heal) I became a convert to the Forcefield knee armor in the sleeves like jeff said. I also bought a Forcefield back protector for my revit jacket. The stock protectors that come with the revit gear are poor at best. I'm thinking leather is the best protection. I'm leaning towards getting some leather pants to go with a good Dainese jacket I have.
Wheels

Return to “In The Cabinet”