Feedback on good racing leathers

Here's where you post product reviews, suggestions and inquiries
Randall
AMA Racer
Your Ride: KTM 990 SMR, Husky 450

Re: Feedback on good racing leathers

Postby Randall » November 9th, 2011, 9:56 pm

what ever you do........try on the suit! I tried many suits on at Motostrano, and just like shoes, the difference can be huge between manufactures. so try them on for sure.
Motorcycles, Firearms and Pastries....I mean Pussy, the 3 best things in life.

Jim
Site Admin
Your Ride: '05 GSXR 1000 and '06 GSXR 750, and the Mrs GSXR 600

Postby Jim » November 10th, 2011, 2:56 am

Randall wrote:what ever you do........try on the suit! I tried many suits on at Motostrano, and just like shoes, the difference can be huge between manufactures. so try them on for sure.

:goodpost:
It's about quality, not quantity
Solve 90% of the world's problems, keep your sex, religion, and politics in the bedroom.

Toneman
Global Moderater
Your Ride: Street Ape, Dirt Katoom

Postby Toneman » November 10th, 2011, 9:01 am

Randall wrote:what ever you do........try on the suit! I tried many suits on at Motostrano, and just like shoes, the difference can be huge between manufactures. so try them on for sure.

The man speaks the truth! Especially A*'s! If you wear a large in any other brand, I gaurantee it'll be an XL in A*'s!
Proud Member of the "Get the F*&k off of my Lawn Gang"
All American Cultural Icon
Award winning motorcyclist

motomanfan
Supporting Member
Your Ride: 10' KTM 990 SMT, 07' H.D. Street Glide

Postby motomanfan » November 10th, 2011, 11:26 am

You guys arent kidding. I tried on the Dianese last night as a guage to see what size A* might fit me (couldnt beleive Cycle Gear had no A Stars in stock) :wtf:
Size 40 fit me so snug that you couldnt pinch the leather anywhere. Was told this is how it was supposed to fit. But the torsoe area from the crotch to the neck felt waaayy too short. It was pulling hard on my crotch and neck. Felt OK on the bike though. Could NOT imagine wearing that for any lengthy amount of time. The 42 felt MUCH more comfortable, but was real loose in the legs and arms.

Cycle Gears, Sedici brand fit me much better. The size forty was snug everywhere except the knees. The knees had room to slide back and forth. But I imagine that an off the rack suit is not going to be perfect everywhere. I guess that a little loose in the legs is acceptable :think:
I am a little gun shy of this suit for 500 bucks. The padding and armor on the Dianese was much more heavy duty. Not going to spend that much though.
Ordered a size 40 A Star and we'll see how that fits.....

Jim
Site Admin

Postby Jim » November 10th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Don't forget the suits are meant to fit well while in a crouched or sitting position on the bike. If they were comfy standing adn walking around, we'd be doing that :dana:

Different brands have different dimensions in different areas of the body. I remember trying on a suit at the track (something happened that forced me to need one right now!) and it felt great when I tried it on standing up. But try to sit on a bike and reach the bars was like trying to force the crotch up to my chest. I ended up having a custom expandable piece put in and worked great. Ah to be racing on a shoestring budget!

Anyway, whenever possible, have your bike there when trying things on. Some areas you'll want more room (like the knees where there's maximum movement) and some where less is needed.
Solve 90% of the world's problems, keep your sex, religion, and politics in the bedroom.

motomanfan
Supporting Member
Your Ride: 10' KTM 990 SMT, 07' H.D. Street Glide

Postby motomanfan » November 10th, 2011, 2:39 pm

All great advice :bigthumb:

I'm also gonna look at some supermoto suits. Might work well with the position of the Buell.

Toneman
Global Moderater
Your Ride: Street Ape, Dirt Katoom

Postby Toneman » November 10th, 2011, 10:46 pm

motomanfan wrote:Ordered a size 40 A Star and we'll see how that fits.....

......like a 38! Hopefully not, but those damned A*'s always seemed like they were almost out of material, so they shortened everything up a pinch! Oh, well - even if it does, there'll be a good size 40 in Max Clearance for someone!
Proud Member of the "Get the F*&k off of my Lawn Gang"
All American Cultural Icon
Award winning motorcyclist

unobtanium
Founding Member
Your Ride: Does not match my avatar 2012 Tuono V4 now

Postby unobtanium » November 11th, 2011, 5:42 pm

motomanfan wrote:All great advice :bigthumb:

I'm also gonna look at some supermoto suits. Might work well with the position of the Buell.

Great idea. Those suits are cut differently. Challenge will be cost. Only few Supermoto spec suits out there.
Can I take em to the bridge?

Frisco
AFM Racer

Postby Frisco » November 12th, 2011, 9:21 am

I got my Dainese suit off Craigslist for a bit more than your budget. A minor leg modification at Johnson Leathers and I've got a terrific suit for a bargain. I'm way to cheap to spring for a new Dainese. Craigslist is your friend...

CJ

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Re: Feedback on good racing leathers

Postby Jim » November 12th, 2011, 11:01 am

Frisco wrote:I got my Dainese suit off Craigslist for a bit more than your budget. A minor leg modification at Johnson Leathers and I've got a terrific suit for a bargain. I'm way to cheap to spring for a new Dainese. Craigslist is your friend...

CJ

I also have a number of someone in SR who does great work on leathers and was really inexpensive

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Return to “In The Cabinet”