Super Bowl Snow Day

Sport Tourer and Dual Sport forum.
NotSoFast
C group back marker
Your Ride: F800GS

Super Bowl Snow Day

Postby NotSoFast » February 2nd, 2014, 5:58 pm

00.JPG
So. I figured that if I’m ever going to get my Gnarly Adventurer Merit Badge, I’d have to be willing to ride in less than ideal conditions. When the skies grayed over and threatened to ruin our perfect (for riding) drought here in Santa Rosa, CA, I figured it was an opportunity to check out the improvements to my wet weather gear since getting drenched for 4 days in Oregon during the only other weather the Western States have seen in the last 6 months. New boots and gloves in particular.

Another reason to ride was the shifter modification I made to the new boots last night. I found my knee was getting irritated from twisting to shift because the Sidi Adventure boots are stiff and bigger than my street boots. Some stainless steel and brass screws and, problem solved? So I set out to Bad Ass Coffee to meet no one and headed out in the rain. What a joy to float through the curves on Franz Valley Road into Knight’s Valley. A little damp, the road a little slick, but no worries. Until I stopped to pee along the roadside and tucked the wrong layer under my rain pants. I soon found myself with a very wet, cold chill ‘down there’ but, Life is Good. Right?

And it was. Super Bowl Sunday, cruising in the rain without a care. Heading up The Geysers Road out of Jimtown, planning on dodging some pot holes and bumping through some gravel sections, take a few pics. A little more rain, windy now, gaining altitude and riding into the weather. Then the rain got thick. Hail? No. SNOW! In freakin Northern California where we are in the middle of our worst drought on record. I didn’t expect that! :wtf:

The roadway still just looked wet, so I pushed on, hoping to crest the summit and get back down into the rain. Having fun. Feeling my inner Gnarly Man, I rode on deeper into the storm. After a few miles, I noticed I was looking for old tracks in the snow to avoid the fresh accumulation. It was not getting better. Then I crested another rise and found myself just getting in deeper. 2-3” coated the road and I started wishing for the long absent tread on my front tire. Not much traction. Very careful on the curves.

Enough. It’s only getting worse and I have no idea how far it is to the summit. Time to go back. The only truly dicey move was turning around. Stopped in the middle of the road and getting no traction. Not sure where the pavement ends and imagining what it would be like to try and right the GS on a very slick roadway with an icy cold crotch. Easy does it and a slight sphincter pinch and I was going back the way I had come, riding now through deeper snow because of the accumulation that had fallen behind me and filled in my tracks.

After a couple of slow miles in first gear, it was back into the rain and a chilly, wet ride back to the warmth of the sofa, just in time for the kick off. Go 9ers! ;-)

I'll addd more pics in the next posting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NotSoFast
But NotTooSlow, please. . .

NotSoFast
C group back marker

Re: Super Bowl Snow Day

Postby NotSoFast » February 2nd, 2014, 6:11 pm

Snow pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NotSoFast

NotSoFast
C group back marker

Postby NotSoFast » February 2nd, 2014, 6:16 pm

And here's how the GS took it. Like a Pro! This snow accumulated in the time it took to take off the gloves and snap the pic.
I do think it's time for snow studs before trying this again. Patrick
NotSoFast

bluethunder
AMA Racer
Your Ride: 04 Yamaha wr450f 08 aprilia Tuono 2010 Ducati Multistrada

Postby bluethunder » February 2nd, 2014, 9:01 pm

That looks like a blast!!!Sounds like you had fun!Merit given!! :hutch:
The only sounds I hear are those from a well tuned motor,the only sensations I feel are those from twisting the throttle
2004 YAMAHA WR450
2008 APRILIA TUONO
2010 DUCATI MULTISTRADA

LQT SPLT
Supporting Member
Your Ride: Aprilia (SHIFLSS), KTM (OL TBONE), Honda (LQT SPLT)

Postby LQT SPLT » February 2nd, 2014, 10:29 pm

Ah Paddy, takes me back to my misspent youth in New Hampshire. Good on ya, me lad! :donny:
The Right-lane is the new Fast-lane... Try It,... you'll like it!

Life is like an ice cream cone... you have to learn to lick it!

Toneman
Global Moderater
Your Ride: Street Ape, Dirt Katoom

Postby Toneman » February 3rd, 2014, 9:23 am

Atta Boy, Gnarly Man!
Proud Member of the "Get the F*&k off of my Lawn Gang"
All American Cultural Icon
Award winning motorcyclist

Jeff
AMA Racer
Your Ride: 07 KTM 990 Adnenture, 14 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Postby Jeff » February 3rd, 2014, 11:14 am

Nice ride. How did the shifter mod work? You might consider getting an extender for the shift lever instead of having that thing on your boot. It seems like it might catch or scratch something on your bike. I am sure that there are aftermarket shift levers/extenders out there.

NotSoFast
C group back marker

Postby NotSoFast » February 3rd, 2014, 7:19 pm

The boot mod worked Great. And the edges are rounded and polished so I'm not concerned about scratching anything. You should get one!
Regards to Sunny Florida.
NotSoFast

Return to “Slabs and Fire Roads”